Hydrangeas

Hydrangeas
Bella

Sunday, June 27, 2010

and sometimes things go wrong.....


I think many people want put their best show forward on blogs. However, I think differently. I have been propagating poinsettias or helping my dad propagate poinsettias for 40 years. I am 50.

The first grower who tells you they never make a mistake is pulling your leg. Stuff happens. One little slip can cause problems. I found a problem yesterday and thanks to my posting on this blog, I found it earlier rather than later.

The mist lines are made up of ten foot sections. The spacing between each mister is three feet. Therefore there is a definite sequence that is required for connecting one length of pipe to another. If that sequence is violated the spacing of the nozzles will change from 3 feet to 5 ft.

It happened out in the greenhouse. One section is misplaced. Why is this important? It is important because the poinsettia cuttings under that section of pipe did not receive proper misting on Friday and Saturday. I discovered this problem yesterday, Sat, at 5:30.

Hopefully, I will be able to salvage some of these poinsettias. We will see. Here is a picture of them. They don't look very good.

1 comment:

  1. note to self, kill the algae that is starting to show up on the capillary mats.

    ReplyDelete